Ubuntu Support Ongoing For The Arm-Based Lenovo ThinkPad X13s Laptop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Support Ongoing For The Arm-Based Lenovo ThinkPad X13s Laptop

Phoronix: Ubuntu Support Ongoing For The Arm-Based Lenovo ThinkPad X13s Laptop

Plans to have official support for the Arm-based Lenovo ThinkPad X13s Gen1 laptop in Ubuntu 24.04 LTS sadly didn't pan out. But there is semi-working support available for running Ubuntu 24.04 on this Qualcomm Snapdragon 8cx Gen3 powered laptop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice to see stuff happening - I'm considering getting that device. Regarding the camera: as mentioned in the post it should work with the libcamera software ISP that recently landed and should get released soon. It's like llvmpipe for Mesa - a solid fallback for cases when proprietary drivers or firmware would be needed otherwise.
    In order for apps to support it, they'll usually want to use Pipewire for cameras. Many apps do so already, e.g. Gstreamer-based ones like Gnome Camera or Cheese, other will need explicit support. In Firefox you can already test it by enabling `media.webrtc.camera.allow-pipewire​` in `about:config`.

Comment

Was not ready for my last buy, hope it or Asahi​ will be for my next buy.

Comment

I keep getting excited about the X13s (OpenBSD support is getting there). However I then look at the price and realize that I would get so much more bang for the same buck with the Intel equivalent. Plus future support is so much more guaranteed than anything from the "niche hardware" world.

Sure, having an aarch64 would help you keep your thumb on the pulse of "modernness" but it really is a bit of a mugs game at the moment. Just fiddle about with a Raspberry Pi instead...

The sad thing is that once FOSS platforms gain great support for this machine, it will be out of production and merely yet another "cool thing" to shove in your gadget cupboard.
        Last edited by kpedersen; 30 April 2024, 02:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by elatllat View Post
          Was not ready for my last buy, hope it or Asahi​ will be for my next buy.
          Is it just me, or does Asahi development seem stalled? I've been eyeing it for years considering how good Apple hardware has been, but it doesn't seem as though they are making the kind of progress that I saw at the start.

Comment

Originally posted by kpedersen View Post
            The sad thing is that once FOSS platforms gain great support for this machine, it will be out of production and merely yet another "cool thing" to shove in your gadget cupboard.
            Wait just a little bit and by the end of this year Snapdragon X elite and X plus will be released. Linaro has already ran linux on it. I guess we will get linux support on those devices from day 1. I am also big fan of arm in laptops but have never had one yet. I am against apples locked down ecosystem. As soon as there will be thinkpad with X elite with linux (arch) support, i am buying it.

Comment

Originally posted by t1r0nama View Post

Wait just a little bit and by the end of this year Snapdragon X elite and X plus will be released. Linaro has already ran linux on it. I guess we will get linux support on those devices from day 1. I am also big fan of arm in laptops but have never had one yet. I am against apples locked down ecosystem.
              I do hope so. I don't like to play into monopolies (i.e Intel/AMD) either so laptops are particularly frustrating! Aarch64 laptops allows us to fragment it a little which is a good thing.

Comment

I have an x13s and it's running opensuse Tumbleweed with Plasma 6. It's such a good machine for web browsing, ssh-ing into servers, updating my WordPress sites for clients... The battery life is great, too.

Comment

Originally posted by suddenlyCharlotte View Post
                  I have an x13s and it's running opensuse Tumbleweed with Plasma 6. It's such a good machine for web browsing, ssh-ing into servers, updating my WordPress sites for clients... The battery life is great, too.
                  What is battery life on that thing? On heavy, light and casual usage?

Comment

Originally posted by suddenlyCharlotte View Post
                    What did you do for that to work? I've only been able to boot and install Armbian and Ubuntu. openSUSE Tumbleweed just boot loops for me even with their kernel options in the WiKi.

Comment

Working...
                    X