Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Ryzen 9 7900X Performance With ECC DDR5 Memory

Phoronix: AMD Ryzen 9 7900X Performance With ECC DDR5 Memory

For those curious about the performance implications of using DDR5 ECC memory with AMD Ryzen 7000 series "Zen 4" processors, I ran some benchmarks with ECC memory with the Error Correction Code functionality enabled and then disabled for evaluating the impact.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Michael

Er...I think there's a typo on page 1

"speeds found with DDE5 ECC" I think you meant "DDR5"

Comment

Are there any consumer motherboards that support ECC on AMD 7000 series? I run a homeserver with a 5950X and Asrock B550M pro4 supports ECC without issues. But apparently the newer 7000 series mobo's do not support it by default?

Comment

This reminds me of the days when someone was arguing with me that ECC was going to be standard on DDR5 even for desktops and laptops. Sure seems that didn't pan out.

Comment

Michael, have you heard any indications that 48 gig DIMMs with ECC will ever be a thing? I'd sure like to put 192 gigs in one of these boards.

Comment

I have often wondered, if I should begin to use ECC RAM for my NAS/server running 24/7. However, I have not really realized any issues being due to RAM errors.

Does anyone have any experience with running ECC RAM? Do you get errors/corrections reported in your logs regularly or at all? Is it really necessary in real life?

Comment

I guess one of the questions or interesting bits remains (enlighten me if it's only me), if there's a significant or any kind of difference between the ECC-Disabled ECC DIMMS and Non-ECC DIMMS.
              I suggest running these same exact test setup, with a few different as closely similar non-ECC supporting DIMMS, with as close if not exactly the same timings and specs otherwise, from different vendors.

Comment

Originally posted by Retramon View Post
                I guess one of the questions or interesting bits remains (enlighten me if it's only me), if there's a significant or any kind of difference between the ECC-Disabled ECC DIMMS and Non-ECC DIMMS.
                I suggest running these same exact test setup, with a few different as closely similar non-ECC supporting DIMMS, with as close if not exactly the same timings and specs otherwise, from different vendors.
                Was going to do that but didn't have anything quite close to the ECC DIMMs tested.
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Scramblejams View Post
                  Michael, have you heard any indications that 48 gig DIMMs with ECC will ever be a thing? I'd sure like to put 192 gigs in one of these boards.
                  Haven't heard but then again I don't deal too closely with the memory vendors.
                  Michael Larabel
                  https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Veto View Post
                    I have often wondered, if I should begin to use ECC RAM for my NAS/server running 24/7. However, I have not really realized any issues being due to RAM errors.

Does anyone have any experience with running ECC RAM? Do you get errors/corrections reported in your logs regularly or at all? Is it really necessary in real life?
                    A defective RAM-module in my home server verry successfully messed up my zfs-pools on my NAS

Comment

Working...
                    X