Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running Linux On The ASUS ROG Ally Gaming Handheld

Phoronix: Running Linux On The ASUS ROG Ally Gaming Handheld

Following last month's announcement, this week marks the start of the ASUS ROG Ally shipping as the most compelling alternative to date for Valve's Steam Deck. The ASUS ROG Ally features the new AMD Ryzen Z1 Extreme CPU that's interesting in its own right for being based on Zen 4 and RDNA3 integrated graphics. There will be many benchmark articles on Phoronix over the days ahead looking both at the ASUS ROG Ally itself for Linux gaming/performance as well as focusing more generally on the Ryzen Z1 Extreme. In today's article is a few words to get started on the Linux support.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'd really love to see an official Steam OS release for it

Comment

For the purposes of this initial testing, Ubuntu 23.04 with its default Linux 6.3 kernel was used as representative of a modern Linux distribution.
      Michael is a big fan of pain, clearly.

Comment

Any plans in trying to use ChimeraOS on this?

Comment

Originally posted by flower View Post
          I'd really love to see an official Steam OS release for it
          I feel that Valve doesn't want to support officially unaffiliated third-party handhelds to focus on the maturing of Steam Deck. Being open source, Asus could support a distribution of Steam OS for the Ally.

Comment

Originally posted by evasb View Post
            I feel that Valve doesn't want to support officially unaffiliated third-party handhelds to focus on the maturing of Steam Deck. Being open source, Asus could support a distribution of Steam OS for the Ally.
            Hah well... I think Valve would rather a competitor's handheld run Steam OS than for the Deck to run Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              Hah well... I think Valve would rather a competitor's handheld run Steam OS than for the Deck to run Windows.
              If they didn't launch, until now, the SteamOS for general use, I think that they don't want to support third party devices. An official release means that Valve should support the supported third-party devices.

It is Valve we are talking about (the same that say that it wouldn't be easy to add OLED displays on the Deck, the same that refuses to do a 64bit Steam on Linux and Windows), so I bet they won't support the Ally officially on their own.
              Last edited by evasb; 15 June 2023, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Seeing Linux running on this thing is really interesting!! I hope we can see some performance numbers, especially from some proton supported games along with Linux native. I am really impressed to see how well Linux took to the platform out of the box... back up a decade or so and it would have been 1 or 2 years to get Linux to boot on something like this ... basically whats happening today with Linux on the Apple silicon.

Really looking forward to the benchmarks!

Comment

Originally posted by evasb View Post

If they didn't launch, until now, the SteamOS for general use, I think that they don't want to support third party devices. An official release means that Valve should support the supported third-party devices.

It is Valve we are talking about (the same that say that it wouldn't be easy to add OLED displays on the Deck, the same that refuses to do a 64bit Steam on Linux and Windows), so I bet they won't support the Ally officially on their own.
                  Supporting the Ally would mean extra work for Valve and that work come at a cost specially since Valve has a work ethics where all the workers do whatever they want as the company makes money they will also get their share of it but nobody dictates their decisions, doing extra work for free and for a competitor that didn't even think about having a OS contract with Valve is ridiculous. Google is already planning on shipping Chrome OS gaming capable machine while contributing and maintaining they're own hardware in the branch because they're investing their own money on building they're tech while contributing to the public project. People wanting Valve to support tech from other company is total selfishness in my opinion and is the reason Linux isn't able to get very far because people expect free things without even contributing to anything. The same way you need money to feed your family and yourself is the same way those hard working developers needs to do the same, they're humans not robots.

Linux as become a platform where everyone has a foundation to build they're own centralized business to turn passion into profit specially since most jobs are being replaced in favors of algorithm and the newly AI's.

Comment

Originally posted by NeoMorpheus View Post
                    Any plans in trying to use ChimeraOS on this?
                    Ive been using chimeraOS since holoiso doesnt work with intel yet (and dg2 vga seem to be broken in vms) it's pretty good, like it a lot, would love to see that tested on this

Comment

Working...
                    X