Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corsair MP700: PCIe 5.0 NVMe SSD But Not Without Issues

Phoronix: Corsair MP700: PCIe 5.0 NVMe SSD But Not Without Issues

Last week Corsair announced the MP700 series as their first PCIe 5.0 NVMe solid-state drives. While the performance is quite speedy for sequential reads and writes, in practice this drive struggled under Linux with real-world workloads. When not adding an after-market heatsink, the MP700 was quick to exhibit EXT4 file-system errors.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

That WD drive looks pretty darn good. I'm sort of surprised they bested Samsung and by such a good margin and so consistently.
    Last edited by willmore; 09 May 2023, 08:41 PM.

Comment

It definitely shouldn't be causing filesystem errors, even without a heatsink. If this isn't just a defective unit, I'd steer clear of this particular drive.

Comment

Shouldn't it thermal throttle before giving you errors?

Comment

I have a wd sn850. It comes with its own firmware issues. Wd even refuses to provide a way to update its buggy firmware under Linux, but thankfully somebody devised a way to do it.

references:

If you want update the firmware on your SSD while avoiding Windows or the Western Digital Dashboard application, this is the guide for you. For those with the SN750 from Framework, no updates are available at this time. Before we begin, you will need two pieces of information about your drive: The model number The firmware version Click your operating system below for instructions. LinuxFirst, open a terminal. To get the model number, type cat /sys/class/nvme/nvme0/model To get the firmw...

@Michael_Siebert Open a terminal and monitor kernel logs while running a disk heavy load (using KDiskBench/stress or similar tools). After a while nvme related errors (previous post) start to appear and finally the system freezes. It sometimes takes 2-3 hours until the freeze, sometimes less. You can monitor kernel logs with sudo journalctl -k -p4 -f -k : show only kernel logs -p4 : severity (show errors and warnings only) -f : follow log stream (print new logs) If you just experienced a ...

We've seen a compatibility issue on some firmware versions of Western Digital WD_BLACK SN850 SSDs where the system will blue screen or reboot to a blue scree...

Comment

Originally posted by unwind-protect View Post
            Shouldn't it thermal throttle before giving you errors?
            It should in principle. But I am not sold yet that it is the drive's fault here. I mean its highly likely that this is the case but it could also be something else falling in the cracks, for example weak pcie5 signalling leading to PCIE errors (have seen it previously with pcie4) or some rare ext4 bug not found before.

Comment

Would be interesting to know CPU load, should be tons of Interrupts.
              Would be great in a setup like the PS5, where a own controller is in charge of the filesystem, with hardware decompression that's transparent to the host. For the host, data just appears in ram, even GPU and caches are synced or invalidated.

Likely will never happen, but maybe GPUs will come with a M2 socket providing such functionality.

Comment

Originally posted by discordian View Post
                Likely will never happen, but maybe GPUs will come with a M2 socket providing such functionality.
                Came out 7 years ago... https://www.phoronix.com/news/AMD-Radeon-Pro-SSG
                Michael Larabel
                https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                  Yep, but i meant together with some public API for games/hpc like the PS5, not some driver-internal stuff.

Comment

Michael

Page 1 sentence fragment makes no sense:

"the Corsair MP700 was not besides its basic ." probably "the Corsair MP700 had none."

Comment

Working...
                    X