Orange Pi 5 Is A Great & Very Fast Alternative To The Raspberry Pi 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orange Pi 5 Is A Great & Very Fast Alternative To The Raspberry Pi 4

Phoronix: Orange Pi 5 Is A Great & Very Fast Alternative To The Raspberry Pi 4

With an 8-core Rockchip RK3588S SoC, the Orange Pi 5 is leaps and bounds faster than the aging Raspberry Pi 4. With up to 32GB of RAM, the Orange Pi 5 is also capable of serving for a more diverse user-base and even has enough potential for assembling a budget Arm Linux developer desktop. I've been testing out the Orange Pi 5 the past few weeks and it's quite fast and nice for its low price point.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

If only it had at least 2.5Gbps ethernet, I would seriously consider this.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
      If only it had at least 2.5Gbps ethernet, I would seriously consider this.
      The NanoPi R6S has the same RK3588S with two 2.5G and one 1G lan ports.

Comment

Michael

There's an ARM64 version of Geekbench, it would be great if you posted its results.

Comment

Curious to see how this would do on emulation/retropie vs a pi4

Comment

Michael

You mention at least twice that this is an eight-core Cortex-A76 plus quad-core Cortex-A55. It is actually a total of 8 cores, 4x Cortex-A76, plus 4x Cortex-A55.

You can see this quite clearly in the DTS for this part in Linus' current master branch of the kernel:

Comment

Thanks for this article, Michael. I purchased one of the 8GB boards like the one you reviewed during the preorder and I've been quite happy with it. The Cortex A76 core is a beast.

I've installed an M.2 NVME drive in mine (the M.2 slot, if not used for wifi/bt, supports both NVME and SATA--but you need to flash a firmware specifically for the SATA version). One PCI-E v2.0 link isn't all that exciting, but it beats USB for latency and the bandwidth is fine.

If you are considering using one of these as a desktop replacement, the M.2 NVME drive is the way to go. The board supports 4K video on both the USB-C and HDMI ports, so that shouldn't be a limiting factor for any potential desktop users.

I'm curious why the OpenSSL SHA512 test wasn't more in the favor of the Opi5. It has the hash acceleration instructions which should have showed a much larger performance boost.
              Last edited by willmore; 23 March 2023, 02:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cbxbiker61 View Post

That is exactly the one I was looking at. I believe I was searching OpenWRT database.

Friendly Elec NanoPi R6S mfg. link

Comment

Radxa Rock 5b has 2.5gbps ethernet and more IO than the orangepi

Comment

Originally posted by cbxbiker61 View Post
                    Thanks for the tip - the NanoPi R5C actually seems a little more appealing for my purposes. Pretty good price too.

Comment

Working...
                    X