Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora Asahi Remix 40 Now Available For Apple Silicon Devices, KDE Plasma 6 By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Asahi Remix 40 Now Available For Apple Silicon Devices, KDE Plasma 6 By Default

Phoronix: Fedora Asahi Remix 40 Now Available For Apple Silicon Devices, KDE Plasma 6 By Default

Building off the recent release of Fedora 40, Fedora Asahi Remix 40 is now available for this downstream of Fedora Linux that's optimized to run on Apple Silicon ARM systems...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Looking forward once Asahi Linux is ready for being a daily driver with everything working. I am currently running a Matebook Pro X 2018 and it pains me to see, that MacBooks are almost cheaper than current gen Matebooks, should I develop the need to get something new.

Comment

looks like if you run the script from asahilinux.org it shows Fedora 39, so you have to run the one from https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US.../installation/

Comment

Originally posted by Shagga, Son of Dolf View Post
        Looking forward once Asahi Linux is ready for being a daily driver with everything working. I am currently running a Matebook Pro X 2018 and it pains me to see, that MacBooks are almost cheaper than current gen Matebooks, should I develop the need to get something new.
        MacBook cheaper than Huawei?
        No wei!

Comment

How is the build quality on those Matebooks, and how is Linux support?

Comment

Originally posted by openminded View Post

MacBook cheaper than Huawei?
            No wei!
            yep, macs specs wise now ascend gracefully from the best value you can buy at the low end to the worst value you can buy at the high end.

macos is pretty awesome though, I wouldnt replace it tbh.

Comment

By the time apple silicon devices are usable for daily drive on linux they will be too old and an average phone will be faster then that.
              It was dumb to do all this work to use linux on hardware that you will never be able to utilize better then mac os.
              Soon snapdragon X elite will be out there and it will have day 1 linux support, much better NPU and on par with M3 performance. Who the hell is going to pass on that and buy macbook to just run linux on it?

Comment

Originally posted by t1r0nama View Post
                By the time apple silicon devices are usable for daily drive on linux they will be too old and an average phone will be faster then that.
                It was dumb to do all this work to use linux on hardware that you will never be able to utilize better then mac os.
                Soon snapdragon X elite will be out there and it will have day 1 linux support, much better NPU and on par with M3 performance. Who the hell is going to pass on that and buy macbook to just run linux on it?
                All I can say is that I install Asahi Fedora 39 recently on a couple of M1-based devices at work. The installation script, ran inside macOS, was slick and installation was easy. Mac hardware end up being pretty nice. In time these will stop being supported by Apple but much of what is out there will still have usefull life yet. At the very least there is that. You can also dual-boot between Asahi and macOS today if that is something you want.

I will add, the professionalism behind this project seems top-notch. My whole experience was very good.

Comment

how's the performance on these things anyhow? Last I checked it wasn't doing so good but that was a good couple years ago, can it match macos at least? It shouldn't be that hard considering how unoptimized that garbage os is.

Comment

Originally posted by rabcor View Post
                    how's the performance on these things anyhow? Last I checked it wasn't doing so good but that was a good couple years ago, can it match macos at least? It shouldn't be that hard considering how unoptimized that garbage os is.
                    my low end M1 macbook air (with macos) outperforms the Mrs same age high end windows asus rog with an RTX3060 in every respect except raytacing (which just went in M4)

Battery life is plain and simply astounding (2 or 3 days of decent use, a full day of watching movies)

for a device that weighs nothing vs an absolute brick.

My concern about putting linux on mac Ms would be the lack of rosetta, afaik linux arm doesnt have anything similar.

Macs biggest issue is how much they charge for extra ram and disk space over the base model. if you dont have high ram and local disk requirements then buying them and putting fedora on could make some sense, you simply cannot beat them, but otherwise apple (intentionally) price themselves out. We'll still pay that premium once our last windows laptop needs replacing.

Comment

Working...
                    X