Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust-Written Redox OS Gets USB Keyboards & Mice Working

Phoronix: Rust-Written Redox OS Gets USB Keyboards & Mice Working

Redox OS as the from-scratch, Rust-written open-source operating system had a successful April with now having USB keyboards and mice now working with their USB HID driver...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Meanwhile GNU Hurd has no USB support at all for like 30 years.

Comment

Originally posted by StarterX4 View Post
      is anyone actually working on dead?

Comment

Originally posted by StarterX4 View Post
        Poor Hurd. Is it inherently complex? Does it lack developer enthusiasm? Does it lack funding which also equates to enthusiasm?

Redox is Rust which is popular, so fast gainz expected?

It’s a little boggling that this just seems to come out of nowhere and start being successfully successful, dang.

Comment

Redox, and Haiku, are the two OSes I hope one day will supplant Linux based OSes.

If either one of them received the funding that the Linux Foundation gets, I firmly believe Linux would become a footnote in computing history inside of 5 years.

Comment

Always nice to have Redox news.
            Fresh and light codebases are a bless.
            Even Google failed at pushing their Fuschsia into a competitive product, I wish they assigned a couple low level devs onto Redox to help.

Comment

Default static can be nice for sure. I still wish something like gobolinux would have taken off however. It seems like just the right set of crazy

Comment

Originally posted by rmfx View Post
                Always nice to have Redox news.
                Fresh and light codebases are a bless.
                Even Google failed at pushing their Fuschsia into a competitive product, I wish they assigned a couple low level devs onto Redox to help.
                I'm not sure they even tried to... They are just using it on their smart hubs. Do they even have the ambition to use it elsewhere?

Comment

Originally posted by sophisticles View Post
                  Redox, and Haiku, are the two OSes I hope one day will supplant Linux based OSes.

If either one of them received the funding that the Linux Foundation gets, I firmly believe Linux would become a footnote in computing history inside of 5 years.
                  Gloire has better chance than other two mentioned https://github.com/streaksu/Gloire

Besides if same donations were given to BSDs they would be more useful than Linux.

Comment

This basically means redox was unusable on actual hardware without PS2 ports until now? Yikes.

Even my toy OS had a USB stack well before I started thinking about a GUI, because all my potential target hardware is old laptops with weird graphics setups, and a USB serial dongle is an easy debug print target.

And they still don't have USB interrupts working right, so it's _polling_? That's a major WTF. USB has been the single standard peripheral interface for nearly two decades.

I am a total Rustacean. I want to see more rust in OSes. But clearly Redox is not focused on enabling real usage in any way and instead is focused on looking pretty in an emulated 2001 machine. That's not a viable project.
                    Last edited by Brananarchy; 01 May 2024, 03:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X