Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AMD Launches The Ryzen Threadripper 7000 Series: Up To 96 Cores, DDR5 RDIMMs, PRO & HEDT CPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMD Launches The Ryzen Threadripper 7000 Series: Up To 96 Cores, DDR5 RDIMMs, PRO & HEDT CPUs

Phoronix: AMD Launches The Ryzen Threadripper 7000 Series: Up To 96 Cores, DDR5 RDIMMs, PRO & HEDT CPUs

AMD today announced the Ryzen Threadripper PRO 7000 WX Series as the company's long-awaited Threadripper update that brings up to 96 Zen 4 cores, RDIMM memory is now required for Threadripper platforms moving forward, and catering to both HEDT enthusiasts and professionals. Here is an initial overview of the new AMD Ryzen Threadripper 7000 series while the benchmark/review embargo isn't being lifted until a later date.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow, $1499 for the smallest non-pro Threadripper is pretty expensive. I really would like to see a smaller 16 core non-pro Threadripper for around $1000 as an I/O upgrade to the Ryzen 7950X.
    Last edited by Lycanthropist; 19 October 2023, 10:29 AM.

Comment

NewEgg just shared the PRO WX pricing:
      • AMD Ryzenâ„¢ Threadripperâ„¢ 7980X processor: $4,999
      • AMD Ryzenâ„¢ Threadripperâ„¢ 7970X processor: $2,499
      • AMD Ryzenâ„¢ Threadripperâ„¢ 7960X processor: $1,499
      • AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 7995WX: $9,999
      • AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 7985WX: $7,349
      • AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 7975WX: $3,899
      • AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 7965WX: $2,649
      ​
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

10 grand for the top of the line 7995WX? Wouldn't even consider it!

At this point i don't see why AMD doesn't just drop the Threadripper name and call everything EPYC.

These processors also perfectly illustrate why AMD will never release a true CUDA competitor or why AMD will never release a hardware encoder as good as Nvidia's or Intel's.

AMD is not about to cannibalize sales of these high end CPUs by selling video cards at a fraction of the price that are able to outperform their cash cows.

Thus is why Nvidia is in many ways the only true game in town for video and AI, they do not have competing interests; there is an old saying that originates in the Bible that says "No one can serve two masters".

Comment

I wish we had TR on consumer motherboards with 2 sockets, one for a _cheap_ and old TR and one for a powerful modern Ryzen, that would seem like a good combo to me.

Comment

@Michael

typo/grammar/wording page 1

"up to 350 Watts." should be "watts" (lowercase)

"The AMD Ryzen Threadripper 7000 series parts are really a league in their own at the top-end." should probably be "The AMD Ryzen Threadripper 7000 series parts are really in a league of their own at the top end.

Interesting article.

We live in a strange times.

Anything over 4 cores used to be crazy priced, and now we have these monsters.

Comment

I just want 4+ memory channels on consumer CPUs, not this monstrosity that alone costs as my complete system.

Comment

The Quick Reference Guide table with the PRO CPUs up top and the non-PRO below has the PRO names instead of the non-PRO names in the bottom category, where it should be non-PRO.

Comment

Damn. $1500 for the cheapest one.

To put that into some perspective, after tax and three years of upgrades, I currently have $1800 in my 7800X3D system with 64GB DDR5-6000 CL30 and a 6700 XT. That price includes 2 1TB NVMe drives, a 3 disk ZFS raid, a Linux boot SSD, a 650W 80+ Gold power supply, a CoolerMaster case, 3 Noctua case fans, and a Noctua CPU cooler.

My piece-by-piece as I can afford it ass isn't their intended customer.

Comment

Bye bye INTEL Sapphire Rapids WS, we barely knew you :-)

The HEDT 7000 series uses the same pricing as the HEDT 3000 series :-)

New mobos and ECC memory: no biggy when your TCO is between $5,000~$10,000.
                    Last edited by domih; 19 October 2023, 12:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X