Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Looking To Sunset The Calxeda ARM Server Support

Phoronix: Linux Looking To Sunset The Calxeda ARM Server Support

It's already been six years since the collapse of Calxeda as the first promising ARM server company. With that, the Linux kernel upstream developers are looking at dropping the Calxeda platform support...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Pity ... back in the day they were a bit handful with all the web instances and load balancing, today they should be an ideal "kubernetes in a box" platform. Still much better than a bunch of RPis ...

Comment

Originally posted by pegasus View Post
      Pity ... back in the day they were a bit handful with all the web instances and load balancing, today they should be an ideal "kubernetes in a box" platform. Still much better than a bunch of RPis ...
      Calxeda simply did not have the resources to pivot to 64-bit ARM quickly enough. And they were a bit ahead of their time. The Calxeda ideas (low power in dense packaging for applications that are not computationally intense) never really went out of peoples minds, and has come back (AWS Graviton 64-bit ARM processors are an example) for that original target space. What IP remains of Calxeda is now used by the streaming server company that picked up the pieces.

Comment

A lot more people would be using KVM on 32-bit ARM if anyone knew how to actually make it work...

Comment

Originally posted by archsway View Post
          A lot more people would be using KVM on 32-bit ARM if anyone knew how to actually make it work...
          Well, I can't get it work even on aarch64:
          Hello! As recommended in bug 1706630 I fill separate bugreport regarding error "MSI-X is not supported by interrupt controller" I have on aarch64 hosts. Tested hardware: NanoPC-T4 and ROCKPro64. Both of Ubuntu 18.04 and 19.04 was tested, so it's known that this issue is reproducible with at least libvirt 5.0.0, qemu 3.1 and virt-manager 2.0.0. Log is below: ~$ virt-install --name=ubuntu-server --ram=2048 --arch=aarch64 --vcpus=1 --virt-type=kvm --hvm --os-type=linux --os-variant=ubuntu18...

Hello! Upon reproducing bug 1832394 I found another issue - it's seems like sometimes qemu start on core with wrong microarchitecture . Which is, I guess, doesn't happen on ARM servers, but do happen on SBC due to big.LITTLE architecture. Tested hardware: NanoPC-T4 and ROCKPro64. Both of Ubuntu 18.04 and 19.04 was tested, so it's known that this issue is reproducible with at least libvirt 5.0.0, qemu 3.1 and virt-manager 2.0.0. I also tested not only latest stable Linux 4.4 release but al...

Comment

Working...
          X