Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Benchmarking Linux 5.5 vs. Linux 5.6-rc1 On A Few Systems So Far

Phoronix: Benchmarking Linux 5.5 vs. Linux 5.6-rc1 On A Few Systems So Far

Since the release of Linux 5.6-rc1 that is coming in as a very feature-packed kernel, here are benchmarks of Linux 5.5 stable up against Linux 5.6-rc1 on a few of the systems tested so far while more results are in-progress...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Thanks for these Michael. Can we also get the 5.4 LTS kernel included in the benchmarks going forward? I ask because I've been happy with 5.4.x (currently 5.4.19) and haven't found a feature I really need on 5.5, and since 5.6 will be the big one, I want to hold off until that is released and more mature, so it would be great to see how the 5.4 kernel stacks up.

Comment

Michael, as Arm64 support is improving in the Linux mainline for popular SBC's it would be great to monitor progress, especially around Mesa - V3D, Panfrost etc. Ideally, CPU performance, GPU & VPU acceleration.

​I appreciate all your efforts to the community.

Dan

Comment

Michael
        To some surprise, in the compilation tests run that make use of GNU Make there didn't end up being much of a difference in compilation speed at least with these high-end systems tested given that Linux 5.6 has the pipe optimization that should help out Make
        See this comment: https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...01#post1159401

Comment

Working...
        X